Phillips Man's Shops was started on the 3rd July 1972 in Cheriton, Folkestone by Philip Mummery.
Philip left school aged 15 in 1958 with no qualifications. His first job was for Lewis & Hyland, which at that time was the leading department store in his home town Ashford. He worked in the Menswear Department for four years. Following that he worked for a wholesale clothing and footwear company based in Maidstone, then for the Co-Op and finally as Menswear Representative for a London company covering Southern England for four years. He then started his own business in 1972 when he took over a struggling menswear shop in Cheriton and proceeded to turn it around. Later, his wife Val Mummery took over the bookwork.
In 1976 the business was doing so well that Philip was able to purchase a shop in Cranbrook and this became the main shop and head office, as a company we have never looked back.
In 1984, a shop in Crowborough was added to the company.
In 2003, the next generation, son and daughter, Steven and Cathy Mummery took over the running of the business. Steven's wife Caroline is also involved with the office work. Therefore, we pride ourselves on still being a family business and care deeply about our reputation and quality of service.
The schoolwear side of the business is run by Cathy Mummery. It has grown steadily to the position of being one of the leading suppliers of good value school uniform in Kent and Sussex. We now supply over twenty schools.
In 2004 we set up our own embroidery business, Stitch-up Logos, which was one of Philip's last projects before his retirement. This has enabled us to provide an even more efficient service. We are able to restock quickley on any logo'd uniform we have sold out of and can also cater for any unusual sizes or requirements.